A wide range of Australian plays will be examined in this unit. Some representative plays include:
Betzien, Angela. Children of the Black Skirt. Currency Press, 2005.
Buzo, Alex. Norm and Ahmed. Currency Press, 1976.
Dampier, Alfred, et al. Marvellous Melbourne. (unpublished)
Enoch, Wesley and Deborah Mailman. The Seven Stages of Grieving. Playlab Press, 2002.
Lawler, Ray. Summer of the Seventeenth Doll. Currency Press, 1993.
Murray-Smith, Joanna. The Female of the Species. Currency Press, 2008.
Williamson, David. Travelling North. Currency Press, 1980.
Useful secondary critical texts include:
- Casey, Maryrose. Creating Frames: Contemporary Indigenous Theatre. U of Queensland Press, 2004.
- Chowdhury, Khairul. Empowering and disempowering Indigenes: Staging Australian Aboriginal experience. Lambert Academic Publishing, 2010.
- McCallum, John. Belonging: Australian Playwriting in the 20th Century. Sydney: Currency Press, 2009.
- Milne, Geoffrey. Theatre Australia (Un)limited: Australian Theatre Since the 1950s.Amsterdam: Rodopi,2004.
- Radic, Leonard. Contemporary Australian Drama. Brandl & Schlesinger, 2006.
- Schafer, Elizabeth and Susan Bradley Smith. Playing Australia: Australian Theatre and the International Stage. Rodopi, 2003.